Thursday, March 11, 2010

Schrodinger's foetus

The scan which promised to tell us everything in fact told us very little. There was no heart beat to see, but if my dates are slightly off then that's not surprising. The growth of a foetus at this stage is fairly fixed, and so we are going for another scan a week after the first one. They saw a 5 week scan (amniotic sac 5mm, and a yolk sac), but there isn't a sign of a seperate foetus. However I thought I was 7 weeks, so we are not particularly hopeful. Even if we were a week wrong we'd expect to see something more.

This waiting is surprisingly hard. It's occupying a lot of our thoughts, and we both fluctuate in how much hope we have.
When I had the bleed last week we were both down, but by the afternoon I was feeling OK with what had happened, after all it was very early. However being given hope (the doctor last saturday did a test, and then said "congratulations, you are pregnant"), has made the process that much harder. We'd just like to know one way or the other, so we can get used to the idea and move on.

Mark's never liked rollercoasters, and this is certainly one I'm keen to get off!

No comments: