Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Testing

I'm curious about Joanna, and what she thinks. I've had her take part in experiments for the psychology department. I wasn't really sure of the outcome of those tests - I was mostly sat with my eyes shut, holding her on my lap. The first set of test was how children learn. She'd be show two pictures, and a word would be said. They recorded her eye movement to see which she looked at. Part of the test was showing two pictures, e.g. a ball and an accordian type instrument, and saying a random word. It would show that random picture a few times as part of a pair, repeating the random word. It was testing to see if the child decided that a ball wasn't called x, so the other thing must be an x.
Last week Joanna took part in someone's Phd, trying to see what children think about other people's thought processes, as well as their perception of God. There were various tests, such as showing her a picture with a very faint picture on, that she couldn't see as it was far away. "Can you see it, Can this toy eagle with good eyesight see it, can this dog with bad eyesight see it, can God see it". A couple of interesting things came out of it. Joanna didn't answer who John's parents were. Joanna didn't think that Jesus had every been a baby. Thankfully she didn't think I'd been alive when the dinosaurs were alive. She also decided that I wasn't going to ever die.
The interviewer was very nice, but I have to say that - she thought Joanna was 4 :-)

No comments: