Thursday, December 23, 2010

Daniel


My tiny baby is now 7 weeks old, and the time has flown by. But it also feels like he's always been here, and it feels very normal.
In the last few days he's started to smile properly, and often makes a very cute cooing noise when he smiles.

He doesn't have much of a routine. Generally he sleeps from midnight until 3-4am, but that's the only thing that is set. He feeds approximately 3 hourly after that, and often won't sleep between feeds. Some days the only time he has his eyes shut seems to be when feeding, other days he sleeps a lot. Then he's awake from 6pm until 11, when Mark gives him a formula bottle. So yes, that's not much sleep at night, or in fact at all. I'm really hoping that changes soon, and he goes to sleep earlier and goes back to sleep after his feed. Today I'm feeling good, as I got 6 hours sleep, without being woken up by anyone. I never thought a 4am start would be a good day! He is different to the other two, as his unsettled (aka screaming uncontrollably) periods are quite random. Mostly after his evening feed until midnight, but can be during the day. Joanna and John had very definite bad periods (4-7pm for Joanna, and 7-12 for John)

He hasn't been putting on weight very well, and one week even lost an oz. Hence the formula feed which means I get more uninterrupted sleep, and he gets at least one feed with a guaranteed amount. I'm trying to rest more, but it's not easy, as trying to balance 3 kids needs isn't easy.

He was a beautiful new born, had a very ugly few weeks, and is now back be being beautiful! His hair receded, and he was covered in baby acne, but his hair is growing back, and his skin is beautiful again, so I don't feel the need to apologise so much.

I'm often asked how Joanna and John are getting on with him. Joanna is loving and affectionate. Unfortunately this often means waking him up with cuddles, and poking his face. John mostly ignores him, which is understandable, but does ask to hold him sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's smiling away and has some contented moments to get you through the unhappy screaming ones. It'll settle down soon. Love Pip