Our gorgeous little boy, Daniel James Gooding, made his rather rapid appearance on 31st October, 2010 at 7:58am.
Vital statistics - 8lb(3650g), length 52.8cm, Head circumference 39.9cm
1st stage(contractions): 1 hr 37 mins officially
2nd stage (delivery): 4 mins
3rd stage (placenta):1 hr 19 mins
Here's the more in-depth but hopefully not too gory story. Mark was out playing poker with friends, so I went to bed very early as the kids wouldn't be as easy to adjust as the clocks. So I moved the clocks forward, and went to bed at what would be 10pm. I woke just before Mark got home, and Mark went to sleep, while I started having contractions. I'd been having lots of strong Braxton-Hicks for the last week in the evening, but it was obvious these were the real thing. I woke Mark at 3:30, and then after about an hour we called my parents to come and look after the kids. We discussed how long I'd been in labour, and it was only then that we realised I'd changed the clocks the wrong way, and I'd gone to bed at 8pm, not 10pm, and it was really 1:30am. My parents arrived and we set off for the midwife unit at the JR. The rather grumpy midwife said I was only 1cm, and not in established labour, so recommended I headed home for some rest. This despite knowing my last two labours were only 12 hours. We headed home, and my poor parents moved out of our bed, and I dozed for another hour or so, until the contractions got bad. Both kids were awake by then, and between contractions I went and saw them. Poor Joanna didn't want me to go, and I had to prise her off my leg. At 6:45am we headed back to the hospital, and the midwife gave me the good news that I was 7-8cm dilated. I had another nasty contraction at that point, and said I needed to push. We toddled down to the delivery room. The pool was available and I fancied a bit of a water birth. However with the next contraction Daniel James made his appearance in this world! Wow, couldn't quite believe it! I didn't even get any time for any pain relief.
So from first contraction to Daniel's arrival was about 8 hours, and I do know how lucky I am! Lots of prayers of thanks have gone up, not only for a good and quick delivery, but also for our wonderful (no longer little) family.
3 comments:
For crying out loud Em! You got that down pat! Very glad you are both well and looking forward to seeing you. Sorry I missed your calls on Sunday....let me know when it is convenient to come and see you all!
Congratulations again, Emily. Fun blog
Amazing! Thanks for posting the link. How fast was that?! Sorry for the to-ing and fro-ing with the hospital, though!
Lots of blessings to your lovely-sized family! Susan G. xx
Post a Comment