Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hiccups

It just occured to me that one of the things I haven't noticed so far are hiccups. Joanna seemed to get lots of hiccups, although it took me a while to realise what they were. They seemed too quick (every second or two) to be hiccups, but they were that quick once she was born.

However from checking my e-mails to Mark the first time I know I felt Joanna's hiccups was about 35 weeks, when I told Mark that Joanna had hiccups again. So hopefully anytime soon I will feel TinyBaby have hiccups.

I found this out about hiccups:
In the case of the foetus there has been shown to be a drawing in of some of the amniotic fluid in which it floats. It seems that it is only the more mature foetuses that show this (because of the development of the central nervous system at that time). Some think that the ‘hiccup reflex’ is a response to foetal drinking or foetal breathing which causes this flow of amniotic fluid in and out of the lungs, thus stimulating the diaphragm to contract, just as it does in the normal hiccup situation.

No comments: